RigidChips
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modding Rigidchips

2 posters

Go down

Modding Rigidchips Empty Modding Rigidchips

Post by Rainman Tue May 29, 2012 11:32 am

Hey guys-

Thinking on some of my favorite games besides Rigidchips these days, most of which are also creativity toys in one fashion or another, and the very positive contributions their modding communities have made to the playing experience, I find myself wondering about the possibility, or perhaps more aptly feasibility, of modding Rigidchips at the source code.

I'm wondering, does anyone know what/how much would be involved in this? What language the game is in and how easy that code is to manipulate (I'm guessing it's much tougher than Java, for sure); if you need specialized/additional/auxiliary software such as compilers and decompilers to be able to do so; and the likely difficulty involved in coding in new content.

For a particular example, say if I wanted to make it so that the EFFECT val on an ARM chip actually does something- namely, changing it to a different, custom-content "weapon type," much like the way a jet can also be a helium or air balloon; what sort of difficulty and effort-level would I be jumping into the middle of?

For reference, I personally have no/minimal C++ experience, just a copy of C for Dummies that I read a few pages of once when bored. But I pick up programming languages pretty fast, and you can also answer my questions assuming a hypothetical modder with reasonable competency in the language.
Rainman
Rainman
Tank
Tank

Back to top Go down

Modding Rigidchips Empty Re: Modding Rigidchips

Post by MrSparks Tue May 29, 2012 12:05 pm

The primary problem would probably be that the source code for RC is not available.

Secondary issues:
If you were to get the source code from Takeya, you'd probably find that all of the comments are in Japanese. Same for function, variable and constant names.
If you were to decompile it somehow, you'd find that there are no comments and the function, variable and constant names are meaningless.

Tertiary issues, I can't really say.

MrSparks
Tank
Tank

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainman Thu May 31, 2012 10:24 am

Youch, that's a pretty darn hefty set of obstacles.

Such a shame. Sounds like if it were to ever happen it'd need to be a real group effort, needing to convince Takeya to release the source, someone bilingual in Japanese and Enlgish (Maybe one of the rigidchips.orz.hm server hosts?) to manage the Herculean task of translating everything, and then probably additional people with programming skills to work on the actual coding...
Rainman
Rainman
Tank
Tank

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down