RigidChips
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The standardization of Aircraft Controls.

3 posters

Go down

The standardization of Aircraft Controls. Empty The standardization of Aircraft Controls.

Post by JHaskly Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:18 pm

I say this partly in the hope that this community will eventually grow larger, as this suggestion would be of much greater benefit to a larger community.

My suggestion is that for Aircraft, and other airborne models like omni-hovers, there should should be a standardized control set. This would make all models much easier to use, as a new control scheme would not need to be learnt, and providing control instructions would not be necessary (it seems that many members of this forum have a particular dislike of writing controls).

This is of more importance to joysticks, gamepads, and other controllers. Seeing as all input forms (mouse, joystick, etc.) other than the keyboard need Lua to be used, I suggest creating a library for analog input. This would also give the significant advantage of not needing to create separate control schemes in each model.

The operation of the library would be:
  1. The interface would be simple; all of the Lua needed would be to call a function:
    Code:
    VARIABLE = control.input(VARIABLE,{CONTROL TYPE,CONTROL ID})
    First, you pass the variable you assigned the output to to the function - this allows functions like _KEYUP and _KEYDOWN to be used, rather than just _KEY (except for joystick, mouse, gamepad etc. buttons). You also pass, in an array, the control type: joystick, gamepad, keyboard, etc. and the model of controller (if using a gamepad or joystick). This is because different models of joysticks and gamepads have different button setups, and this library would stop you from worrying about this.
  2. The output of the function would be (in an array):
    • Axes:
      pitch (up and down arrows / mouse Y axis | joystick Y axis | the proper gamepad Y axis)
      roll (left and right arrows / mouse X axis | joystick X axis | the proper gamepad X axis)
      yaw (Z and C | joystick Z axis | the other gamepad Y axis)
      thrust (S and X | joystick thrust axis | other gamepad X axis)
    • Switches:
      gear (G, a button on the controller)
      gear brakes (B, a button on the controller)
      flaps (F, a button on the controller or a slider/axis on the controller)
      at least one mode switch (Q, a button or toggle on the controller)

You get the idea Razz

So, does anyone have any criticisms, ideas or questions?
Also, ideas of how best to implement this (details - e.g. thrust uses axis on a joystick, incemental control (I think) on gamepads, and fixed increase/decreases on a keyboard) are needed.

I shall start work on a framework for this, even if it doesn't get adopted Smile

JHaskly
Admin

Back to top Go down

The standardization of Aircraft Controls. Empty Re: The standardization of Aircraft Controls.

Post by RA2lover Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:53 am

what about the controller's dead zone?
RA2lover
RA2lover
Walker
Walker

Back to top Go down

The standardization of Aircraft Controls. Empty Re: The standardization of Aircraft Controls.

Post by JHaskly Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:21 pm

That too.

I know realise, however, the futility of this plan. I didn't know up 'till now that only 6 inputs can be used from a joystick.

JHaskly
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:46 am

what about the gun or ejection seat? Razz
Doc
Doc
Car
Car

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down